Jon Schepke (with Search Engine Watch) pulled some great insight from Mary Meeker’s 2015 Internet Trends Report – and, in reading between the lines – could see that all lines point to… Mobile & Local Search. So if you’re still on the fence about mobile and local search marketing & optimization strategies, you might as well hand in your Marketing Badge right now. Here were his key take aways;
Optimizing for Mobile is TABLE STAKES
- Mobile searches have overtaken desktop search (sooner than projected)
- Mobile use has also overtaken desktop use, on a daily basis (see the chart above).
- 73% of the planet has a mobile phone
- “if your local search strategy fails to address the mobile consumer, you might as well not have a local search strategy”
- See Google’s recent release of Micro Moments noting that ‘near me’ searches have increased 34 times in 2011 (in Q4 2014, 80% of those searches were conducted via mobile devices).
- See Forrester’s push of Mobile Moments, by definition, “a point in time and space when someone pulls out a mobile device to get what he or she wants immediately, in context.
- See Facebook’s Retailer Beacons for businesses to offer deals & content for consumers in store via Place Tips.
- In most cases, mobile (and mobile search) is the MOST direct connection between your company & consumer demand.
Get Ready for MOBILE WALLETS
- “Brands that convert ‘near me’ searches into revenue through appealing mobile wallet offers are solving for the “last mile” of local search.” (truly creating a full circle consumer behavior).
- Whole Foods has seen mobile payments surge by 400% since adopting Apple Pay.
- Pep Boys has seen a seven-figure sales result from mobile wallet.