Altimeter Group‘s Rebecca Lieb provides very simple, yet useful perspective on the role of content in B2B social selling – or – what you could also consider as the most valuable use for social media in a B2B business (supporting sales), where content is key;
Without “content,” all you have left in social sales is “social,” i.e., a platform, a forum or a social network. Devoid of content, all these channels amount to empty containers.
She provides some great tips to start right with strategy first;
- Align Content to the Sales Funnel
- Empower Staff to Curate & Aggregate
- Listen & Respond
- Apply Metrics (to measure performance)
- Build Social Sales Content into the Overall Content Strategy
- Train (and educate internal staff and execs)
- Hire Accordingly (you’ll need the extra help)
Lastly, it’s helpful to know that if you are in the conundrum of ‘what to do with social media for my anti-social B2B business’, you’re not alone. Consider this an opportunity to blast ahead of the competition.